9/23/2014

I did a weird thing . . . in a coffee shop restroom

But then, I'm an artist (my first calling). So, I sometimes do and see things that others might consider weird. My eye can catch the smallest details in my surroundings. And it's more what I do with those details that sometimes seem a little weird.

Yep, here's a shadow of me using my phone to take a photo of a tiny leaf on the floor of a coffee shop restroom. I saw this leaf as soon as I entered the restroom. And I was so drawn to - I felt compelled to take the photo before I took care of my own needs. That's a little weird, right?


Then I did another weird thing. I picked it up.

"NO, NO, NO!", said my mommy brain. Because you're not supposed to touch things that have been on the restroom floor, right? I did it anyway. Because in that moment, I was not just a mommy - I was an artist too. I couldn't just leave that poor little leaf on the floor to be trampled on, or worse, to be disregarded as something other than a thing of beauty.


L is for LEAF.   L is for LITTLE.   L is for LOVELY. 

I'm not sure what the future holds for this little leaf. Do I release it back into nature? Do I immortalize it though art? Will it become part of a nature study for my home schooled child? Anything but left on a restroom floor. It deserves more that than. Yes, that sounds kind of weird. So what. Feel free to leaf a me comment! Free your inner weirdness.

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree."
Emily Bronte

2 comments:

  1. Eh, I've picked up weirder things off of a public restroom floor. The cooties haven't killed me yet.

    Obviously the leaf called to you. It doesn't want to be in the wild. It wants to be artified and immortalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I returned to the coffee shop to get a bag of leaves - they were ALL calling me! (Thanks for visiting my blog, Karen!)

      Delete