3/10/2016

The New Latte - RA Style

Well, this blog is generally fueled by the coveted latte, but this past year (December 2015) I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). Now I spend my days looking for a latte substitute, since I shouldn't be consuming coffee, processed sugar, or dairy. Well, isn't that just great.

No one told me I HAD to avoid those things, but research says to change my diet and reintroduce things that may be contributing to inflammation. So, I've discovered the next best thing - turmeric milk!

Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and there are many other health benefits from consuming it.  There are all kinds of recipes out there, but here's my take on turmeric milk:

1 cup coconut or almond milk (just fill your traditional coffee mug for measurement)
1 TBS Turmeric powder (you can also grate some fresh turmeric)
1 Tsp Ceylon Cinnamon powder
1 TBS Coconut oil
Stevia (or raw, unprocessed honey) to sweeten
Pinch of black pepper (helps with turmeric absorption)
Optional: add a little ginger (fresh grated or powder)

Heat in a small pot, stirring constantly to avoid scalding the milk. You can strain, or let stuff settle on the bottom.

Disclaimer: I am not a health practitioner, so don't go around telling everyone I'm giving you medical advice. All I know is, this helps me with reducing inflammation, and it helps me sleep (maybe that's the warm milk part). Best of all, it's become a healthy alternative to the basic coffee latte.



No comments:

Post a Comment